LONG TERM PLAYER DEVELOPMENT MODEL
Our commitment is to make the game more fun than ever before for the recreational player and to provide better development opportunities than ever before for those with aspirations for a future in the sport. LTPD is a key aspect of ensuring that will happen.
It will be an adjustment, and we recognize that. There will be challenges but those challenges can certainly be met.
In short, it’s about putting player-?development first. At the end of the day, that’s what everyone involved with our great sport wants.
LTPD is a program for soccer development, training, competition and recovery based on biological age (physical maturity) rather than chronological age. It is player-?centered, coach-?driven and supported by administration, sport science and sponsors alike.
- Eliminates gaps in the player development system
- Guides planning for optimal athlete performance at all stages
- Provides a framework for program alignment and integration, from volunteer club coaches to national and professional teams
- Follows scientific principles and practical coaching experiences
Benefits for players & parents
- Better understanding of what makes a good soccer program
- More players learning at their level and having fun
- Appropriate game and league structures (e.g. size of balls, goals, fields, etc.)
- More opportunity for players to realize their athletic potential
- More coaches who are knowledgeable in leading safe, effective practices
Benefits for coaches & clubs
- Information and education on effective coaching and practice methods
- Guidelines for appropriate game structures
- Guidelines for appropriate competition levels
- Established pathways for player development for all levels of ability and ambition
- Affirmation of best practices for coaches and club administrators
Benefits for all
- Competitive behaviour is fostered in players, while over-?competitive behaviour is discouraged in adults (coaches and parents)
- Players, parents, coaches and administrators understand that players are unique and therefore different in interest and aptitude
- Players stay involved in the sport throughout their lives (as players, coaches, referees or club administrators)
- Soccer grows, and lifelong wellness is promoted for players of all ages, genders and levels of ability and disability
Greater Toronto Soccer Club Team!